market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:05:26 EDT

Yes:  In Iowa you are not allowed to package any product unless you have a food processing license issued by the State Health dept.   If you want to package, do not close the package.  You can put it in a bag but leave the top open and you are legal, but if you put a twisty on it is not legal.

We put our mixes in a large basket and hand package and weigh with the customer waiting then tie the top of the bag at that time and this is legal, but prepackaging is not.

Do you do the Des Moines Court Street Market?

Phil