market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] spinach from transplant??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] spinach from transplant??
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:17:32 -0500

I'm not sure how old the seed was. I just bought it.
Thanks for the reference.
Marty
On Sep 22, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Etienne Goyer wrote:

Marty Kraft wrote:
I have a lot of trouble with spinach seed germination. For example i
have one plug flat of 200 where two plants came up. If i sow in the beds
about a fourth of the row comes up. I'd be interested in the secret for
growing spinach. Maybe the seed was no good? Don't know. Where does the
best seed come from? I'm trying some seed i've saved today.

IIRC, spinach seed germination rate fall pretty dramatically after a
year in storage. Where your seeds old?

Also, there was a very good and thorough article on growing spinach in
Growing for Market a few months ago (June? July? not sure which issue)