market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Prevention techniques for Late Blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Prevention techniques for Late Blight
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:10:23 -0700

Two weeks ago there was no Lateblight. Today its spreading all across the mid
Atlantic states and if left untreated will kill all the tomatoes and
potatoes. If you spray with copper before disease appears it will prevent
infection. No sprays will stop infection once it starts.I have been told that
if you see the disease to pull out the plants and surrounding healthy plants
and bury them on the spot. I spray with Bravo and Tanos then rotate to
mancozeb and Cabrio every seven days. Many years ago I had a farm heavily
infested with stinging nettle. The nettle grew in the rows with the tomatoes
and I never had disease problems. Getting stung by nettles left me with
swollen hands during tomato picking. I hope I never see another nettle as
long as I live... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.