market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Adding a new market day during the week

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Debbie Moore <caverdjmoore AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Adding a new market day during the week
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:34:08 +0000

Here are some things that come to mind for me --

> 1) Will this take away from our business on Saturday morning?? Example if
> you sell $100 on Saturday.? Now will you now sell $50 on Wednesday and
> $50 on Saturday?

I am in a rural area but there are a lot of office people who begged us to do
a mid-week market because they do not come into town on Saturday mornings.
Presumably, this would give us two different demographics to advertise to. If
you can successfully advertise to the people getting off work who may not
attend the concerts, and then those that will attend the concerts, you may
have a couple different marketing strategies, neither one of which may
include Saturday buyers...

> 2) What happens when there are only a few vendors who could make this
> market? I am one of the larger vendors. I already go to another town and
> sell on Wednesday. I would stop going to that market and stay home.
> It would save me 1.5 hours on the road a week and $$$ in gas.

In my opinion it's a crap shoot, until the new market gets established and
you can get a good feel for time and gas $ to see which fits better. The key
is "until it gets established". It depends on the math and time.

> 3) Does adding a market day during the year make sense?? Are we just
> chasing the money?

Again, it depends on the marketing of the market. If you have different
demographics, by all means yes! However, (and I deleted the email with your
projected hours vs. the concert) what items would concert-goers want to hang
on to through-out the concert? Who are the concert goers? Do people leave
directly from work to go to the concert?

In the end, we put flyers in the buildings of office people and ran ads in
the local paper, and tried the market for two months only as a test. We
scheduled it for a night that the vendors did not have to choose between
downtown or a neighboring community as most of the vendors do other mid-week
markets. Hope this helps.

Deb
west central Ohio
zone 5

Bing™ brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place. Try it
now.