market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Early Summer Greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Early Summer Greens
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:06:37 -0400

Fast answer, I need to get back outside --

I do repeat plantings of lettuce every two or three weeks to have lettuce all summer. (My fifth planting for the season, out of ten planned, just got started in the seedling flats; so you should have plenty of time left.) The trick is not to leave it too long in the field, harvest it as soon as it's the size you want. I do use shadecloth (over hoops), which also (so far) keeps the deer off; and I adjust varieties in the summer -- summer crisps will do much better than Buttercrunch or Black Seeded Simpson. Simpson Elite is also very bolt resistant; unfortunately it is now Monsanto's seed, but I believe not patented, so if that bothers you put some extra in your first planting, let some of the plants bolt and save your own seed (which will take quite a long time, with that variety.)

Some people do get summer spinach with enough water and shadecloth and again frequent plantings, starting it young. I haven't had much luck with it, but may not have tried hard enough. I'd try Tyee.

I can't sell much in the way of exotics here either.