market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Thin egg shells...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Thin egg shells...
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 08:23:32 -0700

When I raised layers in confinment they would always get together at the oyster shell bin and exchange the days gossip while filling up on shells and they had plenty of calcium rich feed to eat. Outdoors on free range birds scatter and spend the day in isolation spending 90% of their time picking at the soil. Lime the soil in the pasture area, a calcium rich soil will supplement their needs. Sudden heat waves like the one we had last week would cause thin shells until weather cools off. Long spells of dark cloudy weather can lead to vitamin D def. that also can cause thin shells... Bob.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.