market-farming - [Market-farming] Pole bean trellising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ken Bezilla <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pole bean trellising
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:26:19 +0000

Does anyone have a pole bean trellis method that they're happy with?

For small plantings, I've used 5' tall concrete reinforcing wire clipped to 8' t-posts, spacing the t-posts every 8-10', then run twine across the top of the t-posts to give the vines an extra foot or two to climb up.  It's very stable, but a high-cost investment, moreso now with steel prices being so high.

For larger plantings, we use 6' t-posts to reinforce 8' tall 2"x2" posts, spacing the posts 8-10' apart, and use Hortonova netting between the posts.  The materials are cheaper... but we've had trouble with the posts falling over in September when the trellis is heavy with vines and there's a heavy windstorm... or the netting slipping off the posts and collapsing to the ground.  We're able to re-use the netting if we roll up the netting to sit around all winter, then strip the vines off in the spring once they're thoroughly dried.

Any ideas?

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central VA

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for HotmailĀ®. See how.