market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing fertility in light vs heavy soils

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing fertility in light vs heavy soils
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:47:30 -0700 (PDT)

John F Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My wife and I are day dreaming about finding a new farm. .
> . we'll see
> how the markets treat us this year, but long term we need
> to move. We
> rent ground from my family and don't have the option
> to buy or make
> capital improvements. . . tile, outbuildings, pond, etc.
> Without these
> improvements we don't feel our operation will be
> limited in the next 2-3
> years. Our frustrations, in a nutshell, are drainage,
> groundwater,
> cover crops, and cultivation. Many cultivation tools
> (bezzerides,
> lely/blind weeding) are poorly suited to heavy soils. Our
> subsoil gives
> us drainage headaches each spring. . . and ground water
> isn't above 20
> gpm @ 100'. Why not move somewhere that we have choice
> on tools, ample
> irrigation water, and a soil that works with us. . .
> We're in the
> midwest just north of the glacial divide. Our choices on
> soil are
> limited. Either clay loam in the north or clay loam in the
> south, with
> the exception of river valleys.
>
> There is valley ground that isn't too flood prone, and
> have focused our
> search there. But I have no experience with lighter soils.
>
> Conceptually I understand the difference. . . a silty or
> sandy soil is
> more drought prone, and doesn't hold nutrients as well.
> In organic
> systems, what is the difference in managing P and K with
> light soils?
> Are applications of manure or purchased nutrient sources
> managed more
> strictly? Basically, what are the practical differences
> in fertility
> management between the two types?
>
> John

John, in SC we have alot of sand, sandy loam and clay mixed with sand. It
helps to have a couple of types of soils on your land. One that drains well
and one that drains not as well. It is a gamble of what to plant in a given
year. But you learn as you go.

We have low ph here which also mean we need alot of lime and trace nutrients
needed. Soil samples are good. It helps to talk to others who have done it
before in an area that you are interested.

Manure is tricky and a needs to be composted and adjusted before usage. It
has the advantage of adding humus to sandy soils but it needs to be added
frequently. Clay soils are not good for root crops, but better for shallow-er
root system crops. We grow cantalopes in a clay loam and watermelosn in the
sand and sandy loam. It hard to find a piece of land that does it all. If you
plan on raising small quantities - consider raised beds. Consider what you
want to grow and what you think (or dream) what you might want to grow and
look for an area that satisfies your stretch goals. Consider enough land for
crop rotation and resting the land.

If you like the river bottoms - they can be brutal if you get too much water
at the wrong time. I like the ridges.
Consider a move south.

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms E&W SC