market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Time saving

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: hattie_allen AT yahoo.com, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Time saving
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:32:09 -0500

Many many little things add up to time saved.

I agree with Andy that it's well worth considering how and what equipment purchases will save you labor.  Unfortunately it's hard to find good reliable help and employing folks is expensive.

I generally step back and look at repetitive processes on the farm and try to determine where there is excess motion or energy being expended.  It's oftentimes very simple things.  Like building a bracket to attach field tools/harvest tools/etc/ to the same trailer or cart you take flats to the field or product out of the field.  Organization is key.  Have things where they should be.  Everything laid out to minimize trips back and forth(or walking in circles).  A well set up wash area is a great thing.  If you use a tank for any rinsing put a stop / auto fill valve on it and walk away or get set up or do something else while things are getting filled, etc.  Two other specific tiny things that seem to really save time (and indicate the types of little things that make a big difference)

1)  If you're not already using some type of press to mark seed flats do yourself a great service and build one.  We have our standard flat sizes all matched up with presses to punch the holes.  These are as simple as a piece of plywood the size of the flat with dowels or bolts through it in the pattern of your seed flat.  It saves a boat load of time when your filling and pressing a bunch of flats.

2)  We rubber band a lot of lettuce heads last year I put a hook on our wash bench a few inches off the metal surface.  One hand holds the lettuce upright the other hooks a rubberband on the hook and stretches it over and around the heads.  It is surprisingly WAY faster than monkeying around trying to grasp the lettuce and stretch a band over it without pinning the thing against your dirty shirt or breaking leaves.  It's neater and faster...you can't go wrong.

I guess on the flip side the greatest time waster is growing crops that your farm doesn't support well and that you can't be economical with.  We've had to let some things go.(at-least temporarily)

Brian