market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed company reliability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed company reliability
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:23:40 -0500

I don't know anything about E&R.

E&R SEEDS
1356 E. 200 S
Monroe, IN 46772
260-692-6827
Vegetable and flower seeds, probably some supplies.
Quality: unknown (acceptable)
Price: unknown (good prices)
Service: unknown (acceptable)
Variety: unknown (greatly improving variety)

I might want to chime in a little here.  I have dealt with E&R for several years.  As far as I can tell they are honest folks who try to give good service in their own way.  I have come to know them even better as a result of my association with our local Mennonite community through their process of establishing a local produce auction.  They are getting a bigger variety of seed (and supplies) and their prices are quite attractive.  I was put off a little at first by their lack of phone accessability (no longer as big of an issue) and I thought they were a little slow processing some orders.  I was also a little unsure about the quality of some of their seed but I have never had major complaints that I could pin directly to their products.  Since my local source for bulk seeds (corn, beans, peas, etc.) has largely dried up I have been giving them more of my bulk seed business.  Two years  ago when I had to redo my order following our fire loss they not only replaced my lost seed free of charge but they also packed the seed in a much larger box and filled it with additional items like towels, socks, and other commonly used household items.  They demonstrated their compassion by going the second mile, a common value pertinent to Amish-Mennonite culture.

Knowing that lot of Amish and Mennonites in the Midwest, Pennsylvania, and now Virginia have been getting into the produce business in recent years ,and E&R is servicing a significant portion of that supply market, I feel fairly confident that E&R Seed is growing into a company (or should it more appropriately be called a well run family business) that is worthy of our trust and support.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

9