market-farming - [Market-farming] Aphid research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Aphid research
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:26:18 EST

Bill Shoemaker:

Last year was a stellar year for aphids for us because of the fact that there was a huge population of soybean aphids in our area. There was a lot of acres around us being sprayed for these pests.  Our pressure was extreme to say the least, some of our eggplant and pepper plants didn't last long after they moved from the soybeans to the vegetable gardens.

Spray at this stage is a waste of money, did find that the plants with black plastic was a lot more infected than my natural mulch of newspapers and ground hay mulch.  Would there be any real advantage to the other mulch or was it just by luck as to where the differnt plants were set in the garden?

Have you at Ill. done any research on the effects of Soybean Rust and the effects of growing vegetables in the same area as the Rust has appeared,  just wondering?

Phil from Iowa