market-farming - [Market-farming] width of beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Goodwill at Homefields Farm <sbreneman AT yourgoodwill.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] width of beds
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:47:00 -0500

Mike,

Thanks for the overview of bed systems, that was very helpful. We have used the 36" beds for 8 seasons with 12 inch tire tracks forming our paths and that has worked pretty well, although walking in a cupped 12 inch path can be challenging at times.

The switch to 54" beds is aimed at not having so many tire tracks in the field for less compaction and also for considerably more growing space. We definitely won't be able to hop over these beds, but we don't that much anyway now that we are growing several acres of veggies, and we'll probably also end up walking on them some too, but as I often find myself saying, there is no perfect system.

Scott