market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Primocane bearing raspberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Primocane bearing raspberries
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:16:14 -0500

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:17:12 -0500, Andy Fellenz wrote:
> I'm thinking of expanding my primocane raspberry plantings next season and
>am
> looking for recommendations for varieties which do well without trellising
> and pruning via bush-hogging.

Polana does just fine without trellising, and like other primocanes, it is
chopped to the ground at the end of the season. The berries are reasonable
sized (though variable), firm, highly productive, and with good flavor. By
good I mean quite acceptable--not to-die-for, but easy to plow through a
pint. It's only problem I've encountered is a tendency to develop split
berries, one half of which develops early, while the other half doesn't. But
this affects less that 1% of berries, and is not a significant problem.

Another primocane variety, Caroline, is the best berry I've encountered, but
definitely requires trellising.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/