market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Opportunity? Certified Gluten-Free Oats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norwitz <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Opportunity? Certified Gluten-Free Oats
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:08:11 -0700

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Pat Meadows wrote:

There are 'certified gluten-free oats' available from a few suppliers. They
are VERY expensive. Take a look:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/home.php?cat=123 (Bob's Red Mill is the largest
supplier of gluten-free grains, cereals, etc. that I am aware of. They
apparently have had trouble getting gluten-free oats - they had them for a
while, dropped them, and have just now started selling them again.)

http://www.giftsofnature.net/Products.asp

There are a few, very few, other suppliers of gluten-free oats who can be
found by Googling.

I buy a lot of gluten-free foods now from Barry Farm in Ohio -
www.barryfarm.com . They are not presently selling any gluten-free oats,
however.

I just thought there might be an opportunity here for an enterprising
farmer or two.

I looked for GF oats two years in a row at the Natural Products Expo West. Gluten-free is the new hot thing in natural foods so everyone was aware of it. There are a handful of growers who are able to do this (you need dedicated equipment and no gluten grains grown nearby) and almost no retailers (Bob's being one of the few).

But here's the thing, there is NO ONE who is doing certified GF and certified organic oats. I'm a small manufacturer and need this for my products (very tiny amounts, not enough to make it worth anyone's while, though if someone knows of a source, let me know). I know a lot of people with celiac and other forms of gluten intolerance who really want these chemical-free and then there are food and personal care manufacturers like me who have to have the organic certification. Right now it seems the only commercially available oats free from wheat contamination are conventually grown.

The tests for gluten contamination are not expensive, if I recall correctly. I mean not not the sense of testing a big lot. They are too expensive for consumers. You would need to do the testing to make the claim (ethically anyway).

By the way, some more direct links would be:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=4075&cat=123&page=1
http://www.giftsofnature.net/Catalog.asp

Cyndi
Tikvah Organics