market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Equipment for pruning large fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Equipment for pruning large fruit trees
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:03:45 -0500

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:16:01PM -0400, Glen Eco Farm wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing from those with experience using the
> various types of tree pruning equipment., what kind of featues to look for
> and which ones to avoid.

In years past, I've used pneumatic pruners, powered by compressed gas,
on peach trees. I used them not so much for their reach but for their
labor saving. The longest ones I have are about 6 feet; they are most
comfortable when the controls are held at about waist level. That is,
the 6 foot ones are good for cuts of 8-10 foot height. One problem for
high cuts is that you can not make near horizontal cuts.

It is difficult to operate an air compressor at the needed pressures.
I used CO2 cylinders from a welding gas supplier. Nitrogen is another,
probably more expensive, option. A dive shop might be able to fill big
cylinders with air. I used cylinders about 4 or 5 feet long and hauled
them around on a flat bed truck. I used 50-100 feet of hose between
the cylinder and pruner.

I did extensive peach pruning each year. I've never pruned pears other
than to remove broken limbs and hangers.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 257 days 23 hours 45 minutes