market-farming - [Market-farming] 5. (no subject) (Jason Jones)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 5. (no subject) (Jason Jones)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:59:33 -0500

An ideal chisel plow would be one that would "lift" the soil a bit. This affect helps feed the deeper levels of the soil with air, water, nutrients, and organism, allowing the roots of the following crops to reap the benefits.. They do not work well for incorporating crops into the soil. We use our chisel plow in the fall after we have disced down a crop. In the spring we also use our disc to incorporate the cover crops. With rye we may have to disc 3 times and it may take 3 weeks to fully break down enough to be able to plant the next crop.
--Gary Brever
www.plougsharefarm.com

Is anyone using a chisel plow for primary tillage? If so, how does it
do with standing cover crops? For example, when I have a rye / vetch
cover that I decide not to mow before incorporating, I use the moldboard
to knock the cover down. I have a feeling the chisel would not have a
similar impact and am curious what the outcome would be on a standing
crop like that. Please let me know your experiences with a chisel plow
and compare it to other types of plows you have or have used. Thanks,

  • [Market-farming] 5. (no subject) (Jason Jones), Ploughshare, 08/25/2008