market-farming - [Market-farming] Dodder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: no one <xkarmafarmerx AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Dodder
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:16:51 -0700 (PDT)

We've been seeing a large instance of dodder (Cuscuta Grammica) in our fields this year - maybe 1/2 a dozen patches, but as I can't find much information about it, and it spreads so voraciously I'm getting worried.  2 of the patches have gone to seed due to lack of labor to weed (or see the patches to begin with).  I've read that burning it will destroy it, but am not sure how to burn a bunch of living plant material, or the safety of starting a fire of dead plant material in the middle of a field.  It looks like weeds are helping it grow, as they host it when it emerges, but clean cultivation is a near impossibility with the labor we have.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it?  We are going to clear out all vegetation near the patches, but I know it will be back.  I don't know any organic growers who have had to deal with this problem.  Thanks in advance for any info..
.John DiZazzo
Keswick, VA