market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:14:41 -0500

After 30 plus years of seed purchasing from thousands of dollars to dozens of dollars per order....my first choice is Johnny's Selected Seeds....excellent service, product, and communications in all possible ways.  Next....Stokes for some of the best knowledge published in any seed catalogue.  Often I must use other suppliers for better color mixtures or weirdy varieties...Cook's Garden, Tomato Grower's Supply, Seed Saver's Exchange, Native Seed Search, Baker's Heirloom Seeds, Thompson and Morgan, Nichols Herbs, Renee's Garden and the ever odd Hudson.  All of these have been enjoyable to deal with.

Do remember that many of the  common varieties are purchased from the same growers by most seed suppliers.  So problems may occur...then my priority becomes how the seedhouse handles the problem.  I will admit to some prejudice-I may have been amongst the earliest Johnny's customers and my gardening/growing life/career, whatever that means, has grown along as their company has.  (I do wish that I, too could now retire and sell the successful business to the employees.  Shoulda been in the seed business instead of the growing business.  Sigh.) (Still, been tired fer so long, I guess I am just reeee-tired.) Shawnee, zone 5