market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harmony Herbicide how long lasting is it

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harmony Herbicide how long lasting is it
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:46:55 -0400

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:17:20 -0400, Andy Fellenz wrote:
> A local supplier of wheat straw has a reasonable price on his small bales
>but
> mentioned that he used Harmony as a post-emergent herbicide this spring.  I
> use straw mulches with several of my hoophouse crops - tomatoes, peppers,
> eggplant, cucumbers, melons and am wondering if I should have any concern
> about residue from the spring application affecting my crops.  Normally, I
> wouldn't even be asking this question, but after reading about the problems
> english gardeners have been having with manure from animals which ate
>forages
> treating with aminopyralid.
> (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/29/food.agriculture).  I
> figure I better that I better ask.

Here is some manufacturer's info on the product.

http://www2.dupont.com/Production_Agriculture/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/K-05825.pdf

They say there is no next-season restriction on crops planted, indicating no
residual effect at that point. But I think that's different than your
situation--any herbicide residue on the wheat is tightly packed into bales,
away from the elements, and may not break down much further once in there.
Personally, i'd be wary.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/