market-farming - [Market-farming] Price checks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Price checks
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:31:13 -0400

We have a possibility of selling organic produce to a restaurant on a nearby U.S. owned island which is currently importing produce from far away to serve its major clientele of luxury yachters. Does anyone have recent experience/suggestions with pricing high end, really beautiful:

arugula
cucumbers
basil
hot peppers
sweet peppers
eggplant
?

Our regular Dominica market pricing is not comparable for so many reasons.
My prime interest is still (healthy) food security for our island, but a chance to also make significant income elsewhere may help us weather the many challenges of organic farming here and thus help us stay in business to serve the local market and help preserve the local environment. Last year we hoped would be our break even year, but the ravages of disease tristesia destroyed 6+ acres of our citrus plantings (our main cash crop) and hurricane Dean last August then set us back about 2-3 months for vegetables, 6-9 months for plantains, bananas, etc. and knocked most of the young avocado crop off the trees. If we escape hurricane, earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc., maybe this year............

Thanks for any information and best wishes to all,

Karen
--

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>