market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cover crop question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cover crop question
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 16:31:09 -0600

I'm considering something (white Dutch clover?) to grow in hoophouse in
between rows of cucs for this summer. Anyone have experience or
suggestions? I hate seeing the bare ground where we've tilled in the wheat
cover crop prior to seeding the cucs. Alternatively, I could use straw
mulch.

And while I'm on here, thanks to everyone for their suggestions earlier in
the season! I finally have transplants again this year- yahoo!! Bought a
new thermometer (min/max) and replicated the last three years' disasters,
but I was able to see what was going on with soil temps. Meanwhile my barely
used heat mat went out, but at least I was first able to see what I had done
- heat underneath with plastic wrap on top of flats combined with sun in
greenhouse took soil temp to 147F. AND without bottom heat they froze at
night. SO, we hit on a temporary solution and set up big table in the
living room with electric blanket for bottom heat, started flats inside and
moved out to greenhouse once they germinated. After years and years of
growing my own transplants in the city, then moving to the farm 9 years ago
I've finally got seedlings again.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Marcy
Trying not to blow away in SE Colo - cold zone 5