market-farming - [Market-farming] $90k/year

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Christian <kc8gmy AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] $90k/year
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:16:36 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the input on the $90k per acre. I'm just prodding for info and trying to figure out what would work best for my dreams. I may have access to the perfect plot, 40+ acres right in a town with 1m+ population in the College side of town (Columbus, Ohio) where the demographics are just about perfect. I pass by this 40+ acres every day to work and practically get in a wreck from staring at this fallon farm land right in the middle of town. Literally all I would have to do is  plant the stuff and put out a sign. The people would stop by. There are 1000's of cars passing by every day. Okay, so I'd also have to hire people and build greenhouses and figure out how much water a tomato plant actually needs, etc... I know the $90k figure is net not gross, but the difference between net and gross is up to the business part of me.

So far, in front of my apartment, I have a 2 foot diameter planter with 3 cantaloupe plants, 2 green pepper plants and one tomato plant. I spent $30 on plants, dirt and manure and I'm looking forward to selling the bounty to the neighbors. But I can do this on a larger scale. I can. I have the passion, and I can get the knowledge!!! I have a week's vacation here and there coming up. Does anyone in Ohio need some free help this summer/fall? You teach me and I'll work for free.

  • [Market-farming] $90k/year, Christian, 04/30/2008