market-farming - [Market-farming] Row spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Row spacing
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:13:46 -0400

Advice please. We just got an Allis Chalmers G. It does not have implements,
yet. I played around on paper and decided that 48" center to center bed
spacing would be my best use of land (2 acres). I could do 1 row down the
middle, and 3 rows at 12" spacing. To keep cultivators consistent, if
something, like beans, would do well 2 rows, I'd just plant two of the three
rows. I'd like to find a toolbar/sweeps/disks setup that is easy and quick
to slide the sweeps, and could move them over 6 " and have the two rows
centered, or do 18" row spacing even.

Well, I started planting yesterday, and that 6" before the 12" space for the
wheel tracks looks awful small. I have not ordered sweeps, etc, yet. I see a
couple of options: go to 5 foot center to center bed width (4 feet "bed" and
1 foot for driving) or reduce the row spacing to 9 inches. The only thing I
see offhand that would be a problem with 9" row spacing is the lettuces. The
really large ones, like Jericho, I could drop down to two rows/bed. Or
harvest teenage heads, planted more closely in row, and probably make more
money.

Advice appreciated, quickly, please. The master tool carrier and lift should
arrive late next week, and I want to order sweeps and hilling disks to use
when it gets here. Sweeps because we have quackgrass and Canada thistle as
our main weeds. When we get them under control, then maybe basket weeders.
You G owners out there - anyone have the double toolbar? It looks like what
I need?

And we got parts of another G to electrify. Do we really need the master
tool carrier or is there another way to lift the implements - the lift
straight to the toolbar?

Thank you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe