market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:52:12 -0400

Yes. But they are top notch business people, who keep good production and
cost records, and use them. I am not there yet, but have spoken with those
who are so I know it can be done.

And if they are not making $10-20/hr straight finances, if you figure in the
tax breaks, etc, it can best some town jobs. Unless you have large cash
expenses - you mentioned large mortgage. It is important to be able to save
ahead for purchases to avoid paying interest.

But I know folks who have built a nice house (own labor), made good
investments in the farm, are saving for retirement, etc. The wife worked out
during the early years. They tore down and moved two small old barns for
their packing shed. Etc. But are driving decent cars, have amenities, just
invested in about $60,000 greenhouse plus put up a bunch of solar panels.
But they are not only hard workers but very good business people.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe