market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] remineralization

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Steve Diver" <steved AT ipa.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] remineralization
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:57:22 -0800

Gary. There is a fine line between good soil amendments and snake oil.
I always start by assuming my soil has plenty of minerals and its just a
matter of
releasing them to the plants. Deep rooted legume cover crops in a long
rotation
worked for me. There is nothing wrong with adding rock dusts. Back when I was
farming only organically I used a lot of greensand marl, phosphate rock and a
granite
dust product called Hybro-tite. Its ok if you only have a small garden plot
but can
get very expensive when you get into acres. Every winter I go to seed company
sponsored dinners
where in exchange for a free meal I get bombarded with all manner of salesman
selling
all kinds of miracle soil products...Bob
Sunny meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.