market-farming - [Market-farming] Cleaning out a Boom Sprayer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: no one <xkarmafarmerx AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cleaning out a Boom Sprayer
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:12:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
I've been having great difficulty with the list serv bouncing me off the list repeatedly, but hopefully this message gets through this time.  We just purchased a used boom sprayer to put down compost tea and possibly some biodynamic preps this spring.  The sprayer was used for Roundup, and I'm wondering how to clean it out, and especially how to dispose of the white stuff caked inside it.  I'm worried about dumping the chemical near our fields (or bringing it to the dump for that matter!).  I have a big long handle brush, and will use chemical gloves while dealing with the stuff, but have no idea what to add (I've heard lye and baking powder) to try to neutralize the stuff, or if I should be wearing a respirator, etc.  Any information concerning the cleaning out of or disposal of the waste powder / water would be great.
Much Thanks,
John
Keswick, VA