market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Heirloom Grower" <heirloomgrower AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:35:51 -0600

Bob,

The difference between Bt corn and applied Bt is that in Bt corn the toxin is an integral part of the cellular structure. Applied Bt spray can be cleansed from the exterior of the corn, but GMO Bt it there to stay, and if you eat Bt corn, you have no choice other than to also ingest the toxin.

There are those who insist that the toxin has no effect on humans. There are others who have done research that indicates that a diet of GMO corn, potatoes, etc, produce gross abnormalities in the internal organs of experimental animals.

To assess the dependability of the research, the source and its funding should be considered. It's been a while since I did a lot of investigation on this topic, but back then it seemed that those contending that GMO foods are safe were GMO producers. Those contending that they are not were independent researchers.

The issue for me is that I don't believe that sufficient research has been done to confirm the safety of these crops. Growing them in open fields has far-reaching repercussions, particularly for wind pollinated crops. Once these genes are spilled into the environment, and contaminate wild, indigenous, and open pollinated populations, the damage is forever done. We can clean up massive oil spills far easier than we can repair the damage done by contaminating our food supply with these genes.

The food we eat is far more than simple fuel. It forms the building blocks of all our many cellular components--it literally becomes part of us. It (our various food sources) is surely worthy of very careful consideration.

Elise