market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cotton Burrs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Catherine S <farmerwantabe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cotton Burrs
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:34:23 -0600

My husband row crops cotton and I asked him about your question. If you are in the high plains they use cotton strippers (machine that strips everything from the plant, bowls, stems, everything called: gin trash) to harvest the cotton, we use cotton pickers (machine that only pick the cotton and leaves the trash in the field) here in Tennessee.  You should be able to get gin trash from the cotton gin. The burrs will be in with the gin trash and will compost but will take some time to break down, it will make a good compost but it won't be fast. Other concern would be residual of any plant growth regulators and/or herbicides and pesticides, if you are organic this could be a problem. Get a sample of the gin trash and have it tested for pesticides. Hopes this helps.
Catherine and Ben Simmons
Flying S Farms
Woodbury TN