market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Share Structure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Scott Kelland" <skelland AT allstream.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Share Structure
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:53:17 -0500

We market our CSA through flyers that we send out to local communities
(within 25km). One side of the flyer has a 'harvest schedule' of the
veggies we plan to grow, and planned availability (we adapted a sample we
saw on the ATTRA site). Our practice has been to meet with each family that
responds, well in advance of the growing season, to find out their
preferences for veggies. . We use the flyer like a checklist for each family
we meet with, ticking off what they like/don't like.

Advantages:
1 - we can 'custom grow' our veggies - i.e. if a lot of families want
eggplant, we grow more of it; if few want brussels sprouts, we can cut back
on that crop. This means we can better plan space in the greenhouse and the
garden.

2 - we find out what else they might want e.g. eggs, meats, farm
value-added. The last 2 years all our other farm goodies have been
'pre-sold' this way.

3 - we start a relationship with our customers, we get to know them and them
us; they probably cut us more slack than they would if we were strangers.
In the first 2 years, only one family we met with did not subsequently sign
up with us, and only 1 family 'dropped out' during the season. From 2007
season we are getting 80+ percent re-upping too (we did a customer survey,
one question was 'are they returning as customers')

4 -opportunities for cross-promotion and co-marketing arise. e.g. one of our
customers owns an alternative energy company, another teaches tai chi and
yoga, and yet another is a bookkeeper. We have promoted their businesses to
our other customers, and gotten referrals in return (and i know where to go
for those services, I'm pretty sure they will look after me well)

Disadvantage - it take TIME to meet with 50 or so families; many meetings
happen in the evening or on weekend when folks are available. Depending on
'open house' type meeting, getting togther with several families at once
some mutually convenient location.

We establish a cut-off each year of March 31, to allow time for
planning/planting; Flyers go out 1st week of February. So far we have hit
our targets for customers each year (2008 target is 100 families, somewhat
scary for us but do-able - we think).

Scott

Fresh food from our family farm to your family's door

2006 Award Winner
Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence
new-terra-farm.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] CSA Share Structure, Scott Kelland, 01/04/2008