market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cleaning plastic trellis net

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rosie Creek Farm <rosie-ck AT mosquitonet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cleaning plastic trellis net
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:19:54 -0900

Pam Twin Oaks wrote:
We used stakes and string to hold up cowpeas, limas, asparagus beans
in the past. This year we used some Trellinet, I think it's called.
White plastic 6" square holed netting. So - how do folks separate the
dead vines and the trellis at the end of the season?? We did OK with
the cucumber plants - they dried and shattered fairly easily. Now we
have 3 pieces with various bean vines enmeshed. One is on the floor of
the greenhouse for us to walk over and break up the vines. Another is
tied in a bundle hanging from the purlins in the hoophouse to dry out.
The third has been hanging over some T posts in the fresh air. It all
seems very labor intensive. I hate to throw all the organic matter and
the plastic in the trash. So what do other people do?

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA. where things are starting to
slow down, just about.