market-farming - [Market-farming] Clover/Alfalfa frost seeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Clover/Alfalfa frost seeding
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:43:08 -0400

Hello,
I'm taking over some corn and bean ground this fall. The ground was in
beans this season, and I'm hoping to get some clover or alfalfa going
early next spring. My question. . . Has anyone successfully broadcast
small legumes into bean stubble? I'm trying to get around turning the
ground this fall. We have a clay loam that does not give up moisture in
the spring easily, and many times fall tillage is the only option to dry
it out early. Some of this ground is moderately erodable and I would
rather not leave it exposed all winter.

Also. . . I've been using my 3pt tiller as a seed packer/incorporator. I
broadcast cover seed, leave the pto off, and running over the ground at
~5mph. I've had some good success, but I wonder whether i'm tearing up
some assembly in the pto. The tractor is an IH 574. Any thoughts would
be appreciated.

Thanks
John
Danville, IN