market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Looking for a new seeder (David Inglis)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Looking for a new seeder (David Inglis)
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:10:28 -0400

Hey Scott,
Does that mean you are doing one row up and one row back with the unit
offset? That's what I have gone to [either: Two rows per bed or, Intensive
matrix on 6" centers mostly planted with a 'stick seeder' in clumps for
bunches] so one weeder set up will do all the crops. I work on my own, so
weeder changes don't happen as often as they should. The one row at a time
weeding works really well for my belly mounted 'Bezzerides' set up and
allows me to set the weeders really close to the row and still go fast while
staying confident I wont wipe out other rows with a blocked weeder I can't
watch or even see. On the three point I have a Williams weeder with sweeps
and a Bezzerides guidance system I put on it; this unit cleans everything to
within 2" on each side of the rows without me looking. I just drop it and go
and focus on the belly mount set up. A person can only watch one row at a
time. If I had clean ground I would do something different.
However I am still working with a Planet Junior [should be called Planet
Snr. by now] set up which is far from satisfactory but have not determined
the next step yet. I am getting really fed up with seed plate changes and
blank rows though.
Your one row MaterMacc is tractor mounted, right? Do you use some kind of a
guidance system to keep the rows relationship to the edge of the bed
constant?
Best.
David
Mahaiwe Harvest CSA