market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] yellow jackets vs honey bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maury sheets" <maurysheets AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] yellow jackets vs honey bees
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:31:14 -0400

You must have much more aggressive yellowjackets than we do! All fall when
grapes are sitting out at farm stands, the yellowjackets will be all over
them. All you have to do is shoo them away, but don't trap and squeeze
them. I have never been strung by a yellowjacket when being careful.
NC University also states: In spite of their reputations, hornets
and yellowjackets are actually beneficial because they prey on many insects
that we consider to be pests. They also serve as food for other bears,
skunks, birds, and other insects. Unlike honey bees, hornet and yellowjacket
colonies die out each year.

Maury

Woodland Produce- Fairton, New Jersey
Hydroponically producing sustainable salad greens in the Northeast.