market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:48:33 -0500 (CDT)

100 ft poly rolls are roughly 105 ft long, I roll out the poly to 50 ft and
cut it in half its easier to handle it that way. I have learned to cover my
houses by myself. I can cover a 28x96 ft house with two layers of 40x100 poly
in less than three hours. I have had a lot of practice having done it so many
times. Many folks offer to help but when the air is still and conditions are
just right to pull plastic nobody shows up. I like pulling plastic two hours
before sunset and a moon to light thing up later. dew is a limiting factor
after wind. If the pipes get dew on them the poly will stick, even worse is
trying to pull the second sheet after dew forms on the first.
The nursery guys have large booms on tractors that suspend the poly over the
center of the greenhouse. One guy drives the tractor while one guy on each
side pulls the poly off the roll and tacks it down, that way even the wind is
not a problem.. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.