market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] herbicides for use in a cut flower garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] herbicides for use in a cut flower garden
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:42:50 -0400

On Aug 26, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Sharon and Steve wrote:

Is this a vegetable product or petroleum? Some how having a petroleum
product breaking down in the soil does not sound very organic.

There are/have been several such products on the market; some petroleum and some of them primarily from plant products. None has yet satisfied my certifier as acceptable for certified organic use (regular plastic mulches, pulled from the field at the end of the season, are regulated but generally permissible). I believe that the problem is usually that the residue doesn't break down completely and leaves traces in the soil; and/or that heavy metal contaminants are likely.

I don't know about the specific one being discussed. There are people working on this, and an acceptable product may eventually appear; or may have appeared, though if so I haven't heard about it yet.

We have had
biodegragable mulch for years but I have preferred taking up the regular
stuff and getting rid of it, our trash goes to an electric generator and
plastics are 19,000 btu per lb so my conscience is clear.

Presumably the generator is burning it properly so that emissions aren't a problem. Improper burning of plastics can create all sorts of problems. Home setups (and some commercial ones) can't generally provide the right conditions.