market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cut Flower? Rudbeckia Triloba/Branched Coneflower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cut Flower? Rudbeckia Triloba/Branched Coneflower
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:11:27 -0500

It's essential to make sure that the plant is well hydrated a few hours before cutting the flowers.  Then cut the stem-early in the day- and place immediately into a bucket of floral preservative and water.  If you can then refrigerate the bucket of stems for 12 plus hours, you should get much better longevity in a bouquet.  Some  flowers need to be cured in this way to last longer; I have found this to be especially true of native species.  The flower of this particular species should be cut as the petals are just beginning to unfold.  This is difficult to do since there are so many flowers in different stages of maturity on a branch.  You may need to include this rudbeckia as a filler plant in a bouquet and not depend on it to carry the entire composition.

Shawnee,  on the zone 5 bayou.