market-farming - [Market-farming] flower scheduling and heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] flower scheduling and heat
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:27:58 -0400

It is HOT today, so have some inside time to respond.

RE scheduling, check out the series on newfarm.org   http://newfarm.org/archive/columns.shtml#flowers

RE heat - my flowers handle heat well. It seems to be the breeze/wind that wilts them. However, it was really hot this week and it is an hour drive  in midafternoon back home from market. The sunflowers in the closed in pickup shell did wilt, but recovered when given fresh water and put back in the cooler. I hesitate to sell them though because I suspect there vase life may be shortened. Will keep them to see.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com