market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] harvest rates

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] harvest rates
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:21:48 -0400

JOHN A HENDRICKSON wrote:
Does anyone on this list have records or an idea of
how many pounds a worker can pick per hour for the
following crops:

beans
peas
broccoli
asparagus
peppers

and pints/quarts per hour for:

strawberries
raspberries
I like to get about 15-20lbs/hr of bush beans. This morning with the a picked over bean patch we did about 8 lbs/hour.
For raspberries and strawberries it varies depending upon the time of season. At their peak, I like 2+ flats (>16qts) of strawberries an hour and 2+ flats (24 1/2pt baskets) of raspberries. I have my pickers pick clean with all waste berries picked and removed from patch. The pickers get paid for all berries - good and bad that they pick and will get a deduction if they pick light (less than full baskets) or pick junk (baskets with good and bad mixed together). I pay a piece rate for berry pickers, so it doesn't really matter to me how fast the pickers are going, but I do set the rate so that they can get a good hourly rate if they want to work hard.
My pickers are usually high school kids and are much slower than professional pickers would be.
Andy