market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 54, Issue 5

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gloria Haswell" <gloria AT world-net.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 54, Issue 5
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:39:43 -0500 (CDT)

We grow lemon grass. It freezes easy but during the summer when going
outside I will pull off a few leaves and rub them between my hands and
then rub the juice on my self keeps the mosquitos away and I smell great.
I have heard you can make a liquid to spray but have not had the time.

Gloria
reliancecommunityfarms.com

> There is a scented Geranium that is sometimes used as a potted house plant
> to repel mosquitoes inside the house. The essential oil it releases is
> citronella if I am not mistaken. In fact I think that citronella oil is
> available as a rub on or as an ingredient in candles. Check out some
> catalogs that carry various herbal products. My wife has steeped garlic
> in mineral oil or olive oil and kept it around the house for various
> purposes including using it as a bug repellant in the garden. I have on
> several occasions rubbed it on my face, neck, and arms in order to (you
> guessed it) keep away bugs. It works! If you can handle smelling like a
> garlic head for a few hours you are in tall cotton. I kind of like it!
> It's a little like the pleasure of smelling your own farts. It should
> also work to keep pesky people away. I have even used garlic oil several
> times to relieve pain in chronically sore joints.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 54, Issue 5, Gloria Haswell, 07/06/2007