market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farmer's Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farmer's Markets
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:39:28 -0400

> After trying to get one started here , I approached the county fair
> board to see if the county fair grounds could be used. Yes, with about
> 1 million worth of liability insurance first. after that the city said
> they couldn't cover us under their policy- mind you this is a starting
> up market with a handful of vendors- since I wasted 2 years trying to
> get one going I just finally gave up- I just buy a $10 peddlars permit
> and sit downtown on the street. Lu Jasperson Fresh Start Garden
Wisconsin

I understand completely. My biggest problem is vendors...right now there
are none. At the height of the season there might be 8 or 10 small-scale,
part-time market farmers in the entire county, spread over 2 or 3 Farmers'
Markets. A couple more have CSAs or their own farmstands, so don't
participate in Farmers' Markets. Even if I had a good location and
community backing, it means nothing if there is little to sell....our
first Farmers Market this year had 2 vendors: 5 bags of lettuce, 3 bags of
spinach, 5 dozen eggs and a few craft items (total sales for the day were
one bag of lettuce and 2 candles).

I have an on-farm stand (third year it's been open) that does more
business that I ever got at our Farmers' Market, plus I can sell my
pasture-raised beef on-farm; I'd need a freezer/generator to sell it at
the Farmers' Market. With my own farmstand I can stay home, harvest as I
need it, control my hours, not have to packup and haul the whole setup
into town.... I stuck with the Farmers' Market because I wanted to
encourage more people to produce and buy local food. I decided that our
area is not ready for the local food movement...maybe in a few more years.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA