market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dept. of Ag

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dept. of Ag
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:51:00 GMT

It has taken many years. Our market has been around for about 20
years. We've been a member for 5. We also have a state wide group
called the Farmers Market Alliance. This is for the market managers
or officer group from every market in the state. Someone from the
dept. of ag. is usually at these meetings. At the last meeting
produce bags had been printed up with the "grown in Oklahoma" logo
and they were available for twelve dollars per case. The dept. of ag
does that as well. Usually someone from our market attends those
meetings and if anyone wants the bags she will pick them up.
Help from the extension service is sort of hit or miss. Some counties
have ag. agents who are very involved and others don't.
Years ago I helped start a market in another area, and I was very
frustrated by the lack of involvement from our county agent. I
finally talked to him about it, and he said no one had ever asked him
to help. In the end he was very helpful and quite willing to do what
he could to help us. I think it was a case of we all assumed someone
else had been talking to the county and in fact no one had!
Good luck,
Carla