market-farming - [Market-farming] the amazing Cisneros

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] the amazing Cisneros
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:01:12 -0500

I buy the seeds from "Tomato Grower's Supply" company....great service and the only place I have found that sells the seed.  I've never tried to save the Cisneros seed mainly because I like ordering from and supporting a company like Tomato Grower's.

Cisneros is huge-truly baseball sized- and I have found that the size appeals to customers.  The flavor is every bit as good as the smaller varieties.  I try to leave the fruit on the plant until it begins to get a yellowish hue.  (Some do fall into the mulch, but are fine if gathered up soon)  When allowed to ripen nearly completely yellow, all the tomatillos are  amazingly sweet and remind you of their cousins, the ground cherries.  My Hispanic buddies taught me how delicious a completely ripe-to the yellow stage- a tomatillo can be.)

Cisneros does like a long season...I start my seedlings in late April-zone 5- to plant out near the end of May.  And it is a big plant that requires some bossing around by August.  No more susceptible to hormworms and cucurlios than any other tomatillo variety.  I sometimes put together a package of giant Cisneros and small purple tomatillos-for the color contrast mostly- with a bunch of cilantro, oregano, garlic as a salsa verde sale.

The Cisneros also dries well....slice and put in a dehydrator like tomatoes....and sell as tomatillo chips....yummy and a great value added sale at the end of the season...good color contrast with dried tomatoes in the bag.

-Shawnee, zone 5 mostly

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free.