market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Green Garlic
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:10:47 -0400

For a bunch of 6 or 7 smallish stalks, we get $1.50 at farmers markets
and $.75 from grocery stores. Not organic. It is laborious to clean up
and it doesn't sell well dirty.

So, essentially you sell a sprouted head of garlic for $1.50. That seems SO VERY CHEAP, especially if you are buying seed garlic.

My damned stalks around about 3/4 of an inch thick, have a white tip that's almost 5 inches long and are a couple of feet long. They are more like leeks than scallions.