market-farming - [Market-farming] I'm doing OK

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] I'm doing OK
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:24:29 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:57 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] Marlin

Marlin - Good to hear from you. How are you doing?

I am commuting daily from a rented house about a mile and a half from the farm to do chores and to work the fields. No action has started yet on rebuilding the house since demolition several weeks ago. There is still a lot of mess to clean up and some things that need repairing. Looking at the dumpster full of metal junk and the bare slab that was my house every day gets pretty depressing.

We have a greenhouse full of plants and some stuff planted and growing outside. I'm selling some stuff at our farmers' market. Its not all that much but at least it is something. Our CSA distribution season starts in about three weeks. Sometime in that time interval I need to finish building the packing shed and get an 8 x 10' walk in refrigerator moved and installed. My proudest accomplishment so far is the 72' x 10' high tunnel that I finally got skinned this week and presently have full of lettuce which I plan to start marketing this coming Saturday. I borrowed an idea from the Haygrove folks and combined it with a refined version of my own for holding down the plastic in the wind and still allowing side ventilation without roll up pipes and cranks. Let's hope it works! I guess I'll find out the next time we get 2-3 days of 50-60 mph winds. I plan to go ahead and put up another 100' one by next week. If I can find the time I would like to take some pictures and put them on my blog.

I have nearly 300 tomato plants about a foot tall and rearing to get out into some real soil. Some of them will go into the 72' high tunnel as the lettuce comes out. The rest will go into the 100 footer and wherever else I can fit them in. Meanwhile I keep dreaming of red tomatos in mid June

Working hard to keep looking up while things are still down
Marlin from Va