market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Soil test laboratories

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net (Dave & Katharine Campbell)
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Soil test laboratories
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:55:08 +0000

Yeah, like you I've never been happy with our (Iowa) State soil tests--they only give the stuff you list.  That's okay for corn/soybean farmers, maybe, but not much help for organic vegetable farmers like me.  In particular, I want a good cation exchange capacity measurement, not one derived from only a few index cations.  Also, I like to know about trace elements and do need information on heavy metals, so I can answer the question on the organic certification application form about how I know I'm not building up residual heavy metals in my soil.  Anyway, the lab I use is AgriEnergy Resources, www.agrienergy.net.  They explain how to collect the samples on their web page.  Not cheap, tho--each sample costs $50 for a total workup.

==Dave Campbell

Tiffin IA (Zone 5a)

-------------- Original message from "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>: --------------