market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dome greenhouse -

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SHEILA PAYNE" <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dome greenhouse -
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:08:39 -0700

Why I like the dome...

In my part of the country wind is a challenge -- gusts to 80 MPH coming off the mountains.  The dome shape sheds the wind.  I didn't need a foundation.

The design features makes it very energy efficient. I only add supplemental heat in the early spring when I'm starting seeds.

It looks cool. The geodesic dome is aesthetically pleasing both inside and out.  It can be a retreat as well as a working area.

I'm doing market gardening now part time and eventually will do it to help supplement my retirement income.  I'd at least do a 22 foot, maybe larger, but am putting the dome on my 1 acre homesite, so wouldn't want it to overwhelm the house.  If I were farming for a living, I would have to look harder at the price comparisons for larger square feet structures.   I have a neighbor who is also a small market gardener that is putting up a 26' dome on her 2 acre homesite.

Sheila
Far Out Gardens
Boulder County, Colorado