market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden." /No-till in the organic mainstream

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Bradshaw" <billbradshaw AT hughes.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coleman: "We no longer dig the garden." /No-till in the organic mainstream
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:06:02 -0600

Guys , I guess I am missing something here. We are all trying to grow plants and take care of our crop land. If your ground needs to be plowed plow it. If not just plant it. I do not think all crop land is the same and can not be treated the same. To wiggle the fork or not? TexasBill

I guess I'm more interested in the amount of disturbance the
broadfork does to the community of soil organisms. What does it do to
micorizzal fungi? Would their be much loss of carbon from the soil.
If you just rock back on the fork enough to move the soil would that
keep the disturbance low enough while causing enough loosening for
good root growth? I guess that depends on the definition of enough.
Isn't root growth the purpose of using the broadfork?

Marty
Kansas City