market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Pre-orders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <elainegranata AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Pre-orders
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:30:06 -0700

Simon: Joyce speaks my mind.

Elaine
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joyce Paski" <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 1:35 PM

> Simon Huntley <simon.huntley AT gmail.com> wrote: I'm currently gathering
some requirements for a 'store' system to be added to a small-farm web
development software system, and I was wondering if the group had any ideas
on something I've been tossing around in my head for a few days.

> I'll be glad to get your input.
> --
> Simon Huntley
> http://www.smallfarmcentral.com
>

> Yes, Simon, I believe I would lose connection with customers. The whole
point of direct marketing for me is to lose that middle man aspect which is
what I get from your idea. I want to get to know my customers which I think
your idea takes away from. I like people. I like to chit-chat around my
market stand and talk about food. I care about my customers -- whose son
has gone to Iraq, so-and-so is sick, somebody's child is doing well in
college, etc. The feeling I get from your idea is
"customer-with-no-time-needs-quick-gratification". I think direct marketing
is an old fashioned concept that encourages people to slow down and enjoy
life for a change. I accept cash, check or WIC/FMNP coupons only because I
don't encourage credit card slavery. I prefer being small and would rather
sell small quantities of produce to a wide number of people than sell most
of what I have to only a few buyers. My current goals are simple -- to make
enough money to pay the real estate
> taxes and cover costs of operation. Everything else is soul enriching
and pure "cream gravy and biscuits". Your idea may appeal to larger
operations, but not to me.