market-farming - [Market-farming] Soil Tests

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Soil Tests
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 14:42:23 -0600

I got my soil tests back from the U of M today. I'm sure I will give the lab a call on Monday, but I would love to also compare my results with another vegetable farmer who feels that their soil is "idea" for growing vegetables in. Anyone out there with that kind of soil? i.e.... nice flood plain which grows 16" heads of broccoli. I would also like to get another farmer's point of view on our results and see if any of you have opinions on what may be seen in these results.
- One of the results that I am very interested in is that our copper levels are very low-- .2- .4ppm. I wonder if there is any relationship to this result and our yearly problems with tomato blight.
-Soil texture tends to be around "Medium"--loam, silt loam
-Organic matter ranges with a low of 2.7% and high of 4.3%, most fields are in between.
--Most of the Phosphorus and Potasium results indicate "very high"--
--Zinc and Iron are all high--2.6ppm and 16.4ppm
--Most of our Magnese results indicate very high--5.9% 5.2%
--Calcium and Magnesium results indicate "very high" in all tests 2862ppm and 493ppm
We use fully composted chicken manure that is mixed with bark and bedding at about 6-10tons/acre a year. When I see the Phosophurus levels, I wonder if I should start being concerned about the amount that we are putting on our fields.