market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:50:20 -0500

From: "Pat Meadows" <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
> I have often wondered why alfalfa isn't used for lawns. Is there some
> reason why it wouldn't be suitable for a lawn (rather than grass)?

Alfalfa doesn't look like a grass...I think it's pretty, but it wouldn't
go over well with the lawn people....my neighbor doesn'tlike clover in his
lawn, even though it captures nitrogen for the grass.

> Would it need to be mowed? Or, thought of in another way, how many
times a
> year can you cut hay from it?

In areas where it grows well (southeastern PA for example) I think they
can get 3 or 4 cuttings in a good year. All the pure alfalfa hay you get
here is brought in from somewhere else (and expensive). I've gotten "mixed
hay" from this area that is supposed to have alfalfa in it, but I was
hard-pressed to find more than a couple stems of it in a whole bale. I see
lots of clover and trefoil, but I think alfalfa doesn't like it here.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA